we put the aw in awesome

WE PUT THE AW IN AWESOME

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Thanksmas

Since Michael is taking so long on his get to know you part, I'm skipping him. Yea, I'm a line jumper - be scared. 


This is my first time ever being away from my family during any kind of holiday or celebration... So Michael and I took a trip to Tennessee for Thanksgiving and celebrated Christmas there as well. It's just easier not to mail presents. 


Our trip began on Monday November 22 at midnight. We had been following the weather and apparently the earliest, biggest blizzard ever was coming the day we planned on leaving originally (the 23). So I got a replacement for work and we were on our way. The drive to Salt Lake City, that normally takes us 3.5 hours, took us 5 hours that night. Stupid snow. So we stayed at Chris and Laura's (thank you!) and got a couple hours of sleep. Then we picked up Jennie Farley and Rebecca Flake and left for Clarksville. 30 hours, 5 states (Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Misery & Kentucky) and no sleep later, we were finally home! 


After that crazy drive, we were able to get some good rest before having Thanksgiving with my family. We played a lot of rock band, something my dad is totally addicted to.


 We played games, everyone was excited for bananagrams,  flux,  nertz, hand & foot, and especially poker. 



And of course we ate lots and lots of food! I thought it'd be cute to bring some potatoes from Idaho for my mom to cook with, but instead I got red potatoes from Nebraska that I bought in Idaho that we ate in Tennessee, quite a journey!






After dinner we got PRESENTS!!!!! My parents are really good at going overboard, thanks mom and dad! Our new GPS definitely helped us avoid some bad weather on the way back.


My brother took us to an auction, which was awesome! We got a dozen 6 packs of donuts for like 3 dollars! And some other cheap junk that we probably don't need. And we did a whole lot of just hanging out.

On Friday, we did some Black Friday shopping, which is a first for me. We started at midnight with Old Navy $5 comfy pants that are super warm and awesome!! Michael got a PS3 controller, we got a bunch of movies and wandered around aimlessly for a while. Oh, I got to drive Michael's car, which is a manual and killed it 3 or 4 times getting out of the Walmart parking lot. Thank goodness we were late to that sale! You know, that way people didn't run me over :]


Last but not least (well maybe least, they are pretty small), you can't visit the Roney Ranch without mentioning some of the beautiful dogs they have. 
This is Paulie, but I called her Odie cuz she looks like a coyote!
Sasha, Erich's puppy

Chewy, the puppy who snuck home with us!

This is Blondie, the mommy of our little puppy and the oldest.
Our drive back to Idaho was rather exciting. Thanks to my parents, we had a wonderful GPS to tell us the fastest way home... Only we didn't go that way, nor did we go the second fastest. We didn't even do a combination of the two and go the third fastest way. There was a storm in Wyoming, and a storm in Denver, blocking all ways home but the southern one. We went through Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico and southern Utah just to get back to Idaho. So much fun! Needless to say, it took us 36 hours to get to Rigby from Clarksville, TN. Next time I think we'll just fly. 

1 comment:

  1. You guys are adventurous to go on such a long car drive!
    I was also wondering where Chewing came from, now I know he's a native Tennessian.

    ReplyDelete